Friday 28 October 2011

Book Review: Pigeon English

I've just finished reading Pigeon English and really enjoyed it. I found it easy to read, but very enveloping and I could barely put it down!
It was shortlisted this year for the Man Booker prize. Although it didn't win I can understand why it was nominated for a prize as it reminded me in some ways of White Teeth by Zadie Smith.
Pigeon English is the story of a few month of Harri's life, told in his own words. Harri has moved from Ghana to a London tower block with his mum and sister while the rest of his family are waiting to join them. The language of the book reflects Harri's african origins but also the language spoken by his new friends and also some mis-understandings of English slang. The area he lives in means he inevitably has contact with gangs, but he also wants to do the right thing.
I really enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend it. It is modern and current but could also become timeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment