Sunday 19 February 2012

Book Review: True Things About Me

True Things About MeTrue Things About Me by Deborah Kay Davies
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I came across this book on my creative writing course as the writer had also attended the same course. An excerpt was given as an example of an unusual writing style. From that excerpt I wanted to read more.

I liked the way that the book was written as it was an unusual style and leant itself to making me feel in tune with the character and feel her panic and how things were running away with her.

The story itself is about a woman who is getting involved with a man who she really shouldn't be. Everything screams wrong, but she just gets in deeper and deeper. The book was really compelling and I kept wanting to read more, but in a way it was something of a morbid fascination as you know it can't go too well.

The reason I have given this three stars is that I felt I couldn't enjoy it because of the subject and the main character wasn't particularly endearing because of the route she was choosing to take. Despite this, I found that it was a good read, if a little disturbing. I liked the style of writing and would read more by Deborah Kay Davies.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment