Thursday 2 February 2012

Book Review: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl With The Dragon TattooIt took me quite a while to read this book as it took me ages to concentrate enough to get into it. I bought it on the Kindle as I wanted to see what all the fuss was about to be honest!!

The first two paragraphs were very descriptive and told you a lot about characters who you hadn't really met yet. If I hadn't been told it picked up at chapter 3, I would probably have given up.

The main body of the book was very gripping and quite shocking in some places. It followed the story of Blomkvist, a disgraced journalist who has been given the job of finding out what really happened to a girl who disappeared 40 years ago. We also follow Salander, a social outcast whose path eventually crosses with Blomkvist and they work on the mystery together.

This book is not for the faint hearted and is extremely graphic in places. It adds a sense of realism to the book and it has a few unexpected twists and turns. I found that some of the book was over descriptive. I'm not sure if this was intended or whether it was a by-product of being translated from Swedish into English. This made the book quite hard going for me in some places and it took a lot of concentration to read.

I found the last couple of chapters particularly hard going as they were very focused on computer type stuff that I don't understand and corporate sabotage and I found it quite difficult to follow. Maybe if I had more of a business brain then I would have enjoyed this part, but it was a little too much for me.

I enjoyed the book overall and would probably read the rest of the series. I would have given this book 5 stars, had the first two chapters beem omitted and the last few chapters trimmed down. Overall, a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment