Saturday 5 November 2011

Book Review: Jamrach's Menagerie

I finished reading Jamrach's Menagerie yesterday and really enjoyed it, even the sad bits.
The story is about Jaffy Brown and his life. He starts working at Mr Jamrach's menagerie after deciding to stroke a tiger on the nose when he was 8 as he has an obvious talent with animals. When he is older he goes on an expedition on a ship to find a dragon for one of Mr Jamrach's customers. The story follows his voyage and what he encounters on the way.
I loved the way the book was written. I could really imagine the scenes in Jaffy's life. Because of this, the reader feels a real affinity with the characters. This story will stay with me for a very long time and is a real story of bravery.
It was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize this year, but did not win. I've got another four books from the shortlist to read, including the winner so I'll see if I agree with the judge's choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment