Thursday 10 November 2011

Book Review: The sense of an ending

This week I read The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes. It was the winner of the Man Booker Prize this year.


I had high expectations for this book as it won the prize over the rest of the shortlist. I have read Jamrach's Menagerie and Pigeon English from the shortlist and really enjoyed them so was looking forward to this book.

Unfortunately I was really disappointed. I found that the first few pages did not grab me and I found them difficult to read. I did not feel an affinity with the characters and they weren't particularly likeable or the story itself particularly gripping. Even though the book was only 150 pages, it took me a few days to finish, just because I found it difficult to motivate myself to pick the book back up.

I wouldn't recommend this book and am disappointed that this won the prize. I still have three books from the shortlist to read so at least I have those to look forward to!!

No comments:

Post a Comment