Monday 14 November 2011

Book Review: The Sisters Brothers


I have just finished reading The Sisters Brothers and really enjoyed it. I wasn't sure I would like this book as it is a cowboy/western style story and I've never read anything like that before as I generally don't find it interesting.

This book was on the shortlist for the Man Booker Prize this year so I thought I would give it a go based on this and I'm glad I did.

The story is about two brothers named Eli and Charlie Sisters and follows them on a job. It is no ordinary job though as they are hitmen paid to murder people. The story is set at the time of the Californian goldrush and is an amusing yet dark tale of their journey and the various saloons (and whores) they visit on the way. DeWitt has written this really well and turned what could be a very serious and dry story into something which I think could have a fairly universal appeal. Do not expect your average spagetti western though as you may be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment