Sunday 18 December 2011

Most disappointing books of 2011

Following my post on my favourite books of 2011, I thought it would only be right and flip it on it's head and write a post about the most disappointing books I've read this year. It has been an amazing year for books this year, so there are only two books in this list.

So, in no particular order:

1. The Sense of an Ending - Julian Barnes

The Sense of an EndingI am really disappointed to have to put a book from the Man Booker shortlist on this list, let alone the winner. This was the third book I read from the shortlist and I was hoping for great things, following reading Pigeon English and Jamrach's Menagerie. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be.

I really didn't enjoy this book. I found the characters and writing style pompous and the story was pretty boring. Even though it was such a short book, I had to force myself to get through it. I knew there was no point in me putting it to one side and trying again another time as I just didn't like it!

However, I put it onto Read It Swap It and managed to swap it the very same day for Atonement. I have read Atonement before a long time ago, but think I was too young to appreciate it, so a fair swap I think!




2. A Tiny Bit Marvellous - Dawn French

A Tiny Bit MarvellousI was given this book for my birthday and was really looking forward to reading it as I had heard good things about it. I really wish I could say I had enjoyed it, but I can't. I thought it was badly written and the characters had no depth, were terrible stereotypes and were totally unlikeable.

The story itself was pretty poor and didn't grab me at all. I won't read this again and will probably try and swap it.

I have Dawn French's Dear Fatty on my to read list so I'm hoping it is better than her stab at a novel!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm a new follower via Goodreads Blogger Lift, stopping by to say 'hi'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooowwe! I hate it when you sit & read a book & realise it's not love at first sentence! Do give 'Dear Fatty' a go though, I think because it's all autobiographical it's much better, she doesn't have to worry about making the characters good or real, all she has to do is make it funny, and she does, it's hilarious! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheri! I'll definitely give Dear Fatty a go in the new year. I've got it sitting on my shelf, so have no excuse! I only hope she lives up to the other comedy autobiographies I have read! xx

    ReplyDelete